PDA

View Full Version : differences between words of wisdom, knowledge, prophecy

CindyL
May 12th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Could we discuss what the differences are between these three gifts?

Word of Knowledge
Word of Wisdom
Prophecy

They all seem so interrelated to me....

1 Corinthians 12:8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,

1 Corinthians 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

dada
May 12th, 2004, 01:21 PM
I found a good site discussing the gifts of the spirit. I hope that this link works as I haven't had much luck inserting them so far. :D

Spiritual Gifts are extraordinary abilities that the Spirit gives to Believers to build up the Church. All Christians are told to develop these traits.

Concerning my gifts, I have the gift of knowledge. Many times in prayer groups, while praying God shows me in my spirit the person whom we will be praying for and when he is going to work in that person's life for healing.

These gifts are not to be used to edify ourselves but the Body of Christ (Church). I can do nothing of myself, but only for the Glory of God.

Just do a Google search on Fruits of the spirit

CindyL
May 13th, 2004, 09:47 AM
that's neat Dada!

I think that many times people are confusing those with prophecy. Even with those though you need to make sure they line up with the Word of God. I don't know alot about either one of those, and I'm not sure if the Lord gives those to someone about themselves or not. But I can give an example out of my own life. After I was injured and disabled the Lord sent me an Eagle and gave me this verse: (you can read about it in the testimony forum...it's called on the wings of an eagle)
But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. I thought He meant he would heal me. I know better now. I know he was simply telling me to wait on Him, and trust Him and that He would be with me. Then about a year later I got a frozen shoulder on top of everything else. Well I turned to the Lord and He immediately gave me this verse: (it was my right shoulder) Isaiah 41:13 For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, `Fear not, I will help you.' I knew he would heal me and He did. The docs say it takes 6 months to a year to heal it and the Lord did it in weeks! They were amazed. But that wasn't a prophecy. Nether was the first one. It was just the Lord speaking His heart to me. I've also had the Lord give me verses for other people. It was hard for me to blurt them out at first cause I was afraid they'd think I was nuts, LOL, but I've discovered that they're always pertinent to the person He wants me to tell.
I'm not sure if these are words of knowledge or words of wisdom....I don't really understand those yet, so I'd appreciate anyone able to clarify it for me.

dada
May 13th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Cindy, Here's how I was explained the Gifts of the Spirit.

You have a man in front of you and he is made up of different parts; such as head, arms, legs, torso. Such are the Gifts of the spirit, they make up a whole Body (the church).

These gifts were given to each one for the profit of all.

The word of knowledge appears to be the ability to teach doctrine.

The word of wisdom refers to practical application of knowledge.

Faith is the capacity to believe in God for extraordinary deeds.

Miracles (Healing) is the ability to perform miraculous wonders .

Prophecy is the telling of a revelation from God or divine explanation of what was revealed in the past.

Discerning of Spirits is the ability to distinguish the works of God from demonic activity in the church.

Interpretation of Tongues is the ability to explain or translate tongues spoken so that the entire church might benefit

One spirit One Body

CindyL
May 13th, 2004, 02:14 PM
This is what I have on the three we're talking about:

Prophesy The divine enablement to reveal truth and proclaim it in a timely and relevant manner for understanding, correction, repentance, or edification. (Preaching) Romans 12:6 prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of our faith; Rom 12:9 Love must be sincere, hate what is evil and cling to what is good. See 1 Corinthians 14:1-5, 1 Corinthians 14:30-33, 1 Corinthians 14:37-40

Knowledge The divine enablement to bring truth to the body through a revelation or biblical insight. See Ephesians 3:14-19

Wisdom The divine enablement to apply spiritual truth effectively to meet a need in a specific situation. James 3:13-17

hmmmm so what would what I talked about have been?

Sandy R.
May 13th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Hi Cindy,

Don't want to interrupt your conversation between the two of you, but according to your definition, which I have always pretty much seen it that way, that would be a word of knowledge you gave.

But I have always believed very often the word of knowledge and wisdom often works together with one another.

I would define words of wisdom as God given instruction on how to apply the Word of knowledge to our daily life.

CindyL
May 13th, 2004, 03:58 PM
thanks Sandy! You're not interrupting anything hon! This is open to everyone! :hug:

Link
May 17th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Gifts do seem to overlap, but I do see osome distinctions between these gifts:

Prophecy is a message from God meant to be communicated to others.

But God could give someone a word of knowledge or a word of wisdom that that person doesn't need to share to others.

A good rule of thumb undertanding of prophecy is that it is speaking as moved by the Holy Ghost. I get this from Peter's comments on the nature of Old Testament prophecy. Of course, some prophecy doesn't exactly fit this definition, since some was played on instruments, and some might consider the 'sign acts' to act out prophecies dramatically, like tying put Paul's hands with a belt to demonstrate his arrest, to be a part of the prophecy (and hence not all prophecy is spoken.)

So think of prophesying as being like a PA system for the Lord.

A word of knowldge is a little different. First of all a 'word' doesn't have to be just one word. It can be a whole message. In Acts, Luke refers to the entire book of Acts as a 'logos.' The former __treatise___, he called it. The word there for 'treatise' is 'word' or 'logos.' Logos has a wide variety of meanings.

I believe there are many kinds of words of knowledge. I think when the Spirit opens up a passage of scripture to someone, sometimes this is a word of knowledge. Or it could be the stereotypical word of knowledge-- someone in this room has an injured neck.

So what is the difference between the word of knowledge and a prophecy? A prophecy is a message intended to be spoken out. It is for the church or an individual, delivered through someone. A word of knowledge is something God speaks to someone's heart. Maybe it's doctrinal understanding that a teacher recieves and communicates with a gift of teaching. A prophet may get words of knowledge about the things he is prophesying about. Words of knowledge and prophecy may be so intertwined and they are indistinguishable to us.

I think a word of wisdom might include when God tells you specifically how to handle a situation or some other wise thing. Maybe you have a crisis and you ask God what to do, and He tells you how to handle it in a way that you wouldn't have figured out with your natural mind.

CindyL
May 17th, 2004, 12:29 PM
thanks Link! That's very interesting!

http://moneycentral.communities.msn.com/_Secure/0UwAuAHAaW3tnFm02DC!twzOXdh04pSK9fHmRfcYkJvH187BJ6 *v1Pnt8B*lac7fU7JXZncph38qNWPTQVn!IltBLpfh14iG3mP* ru86Yu0J6LtArMcF1a20B7KJ*zBnN/multi_5Fwelcome1.gif?dc=4675419020357925441To Fresh-Hope Link!

Glad to meet you!!!! Here's your complimentary big bucket of bon bons! I hope you enjoy your time here with us!
Hide the chocolate though, it's my weakness!!! :D

Jessica
May 17th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Welcome Link. Glad that you have joined us here at Fresh Hope. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Marianne
May 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Greetings and Welcome to Fresh-Hope!!! Link :hug:

It's a blessing to have you join us in fellowship... :cheers:

Suzy
May 17th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Hi there Link :wavey: Welcome to the Fresh Hope family! Glad you are here!!!! :yes: :angel: :excited: :cheers: :salut:

Leuretha
May 18th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Welcome to FH Link :hug:

TheApostless
May 18th, 2004, 08:15 AM
:welcome: LINK :welcome:
:hug: