PDA

View Full Version : Supermodels of the "olden" days

prairiewoman
March 24th, 2004, 12:18 AM
My favorites were:

Jean Shrimpton
Colleen Corby

Twiggy was too weird looking for me.

I liked Lauren Hutton too, she came along later.

Hey grayflo! What is Jean Shrimpton up to these days? Last I heard she was married and living a quiet life on the English coast somewhere.

And I wonder whatever happened to Colleen Corby? She was THE Seventeen Magazine model.

CindyL
March 24th, 2004, 08:43 AM
:oops: the only name I recognize is twiggy! :oops:

amberrose
March 24th, 2004, 08:59 AM
They wern't the olden days....mearly yester year :mrgreen:

collen i believe moved to spain....but then.....my news probably belongs to yesteryear :mrgreen:

prairiewoman
March 24th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Jean Shrimpton:

http://home.clara.net/digger/sixties/js100.jpg

prairiewoman
March 24th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Colleen Corby:

http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/8c/02/f9_1_b.JPG

prairiewoman
March 24th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Oh yeah, and I think the very FIRST supermodel was Suzy Parker -- she was way before my time, but I remember her in some moldie oldies:

http://www.letsmakeadeal.com/images/Suzy%20Parker%201965.jpg

prairiewoman
March 24th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Lauren Hutton: (oops ... will get one later LOL )

grayflo
March 24th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Hey PW - The Shrimp bought a hotel in Cornwall - a beautifuol part of England in the South West ( I once lived there).

This link wil take you to the hotel!
http://www.hellomagazine.com/travel/2004/01/27/abbeyhotel/

Judy
March 24th, 2004, 03:55 PM
The only supermodels I am really familiar with is those of the '80's( my yesteryear!). I have heard of Twiggy, though.

Marianne
March 25th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Jean Shrimpton, very pretty.... :yes:

prairiewoman
March 25th, 2004, 09:17 PM
*sigh*

Yes, those were the good old days when they didn't have to undress for success. :?

HopeFull
March 26th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Oh, my... Colleen Corby... I had completely forgotten about her. She used to be EVERYWHERE!

Then came Cheryl Tiegs... :sigh:

HopeFull
March 27th, 2004, 09:01 PM
PW, I've been trying to think of the blond model that was popular back then ever since I read this thread and it finally popped into my head...Kathy Davis...wasn't it? She was on teen a lot.

Do you remember her?

Jan
:mrgreen:

Pam777
April 2nd, 2004, 07:02 AM
I loved Colleen Corby! Prairie woman, where did you get the magazine?
And I thought I was all alone!
She was really big in the Sears catalogs too. She was actually on the Vicki Lawrence show and I missed her because my neighbor knocked at my door and when I got back to the tv, the program was over. I could have cried!
Does anyone remember Mona Grant from the 17 magazines?
Pam777

Pam777
April 16th, 2004, 08:07 AM
I have been waiting to hear more on this.......
Pam777

prairiewoman
April 19th, 2004, 01:20 AM
:wavey: Hi Pam!

You can find Seventeen Magazines on ebay. Just click on their search tab and type in the words:

seventeen magazine (and then a year you might be interested in)

I did a search on Colleen Corby and found a site where someone else was wondering whatever happened to her ... she literally dropped off the face of the earth. I think her last "public" appearance was in the 1980s on some talk program. Anyway, this guy supposedly is starting a Colleen Corby website ... but he can't find anything recent about her.

I did a search using the words:

colleen corby model - and came up with nothing new

Yes, I remember Mona Grant. Actually, I didn't remember her name, but remembered her face, and then when you said Mona Grant, it kinda clicked.

Kathy Davis I don't remember.

But on ebay sometimes the auctions include pictures of some of the inside pages of Seventeen Magazine and they will describe which models are in the issue.

I guess we're at that "vintage" age. :laughing:

Pam777
April 19th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the information about e-bay.

The talk show Colleen Corby was on was the Vicki Lawrance show.
I could not wait to see the show and just as she was coming on, my door bell rang!!!!!! It was my neighbor and I ended up talking to her at the door. By the time I got back to the tv, the show was over......I was so disappointed. :shrug: :sigh:

Yes, we are icons! I seem to be having lots of "depends" moments too :duh: but taking it all in stride.......

Thanks again .......

YSIC, Pam777 :angel:

prairiewoman
April 19th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Here's the website I was referring to. It's the MOST I have found on Colleen Corby on the net:

http://www.fashion-design-info.com/fash ... 0076.shtml (http://www.fashion-design-info.com/fashion_model/teen_fashion_model/teen_fashion_model_msg20076/teen_fashion_model_msg20076.shtml)

SevenofNine
April 20th, 2004, 01:54 AM
I think my grandfather had crush on Rita Hayworth and Jane Russell they start out in modeling are you talking about those old school beauties
I remember Christine Brinkely

Least she has some meat on her not anoericx Kate Moss I don't get that girl

WHOA she too skinny

She is same Kate Moss that date that Johnny Depp actor

wigginsmum
April 20th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Yes she dated Johnny Depp (after Winona Ryder did, I think). He now lives in France with French pop-singer Vanessa Paradis ("Joe Le Taxi") and they have two kids.

Here's the IMDB link for Jean Shrimpton:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0795398/

She had an intense relationship with Terence Stamp back in the Sixties; he was very upset when she left him and he went off to India for 10 years.

Jules

Pam777
April 20th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Thanks Prairie Woman for the web site.......
I did find a web site for Vicki Lawrence, I was hoping maybe I could
get a video of her old programs featuring Corby....no such luck....

Oh well....... :mrgreen: :scratchhead:

I guess she doesn't want to be found.

YSIC, Pam777

SevenofNine
April 20th, 2004, 02:32 PM
OHH you know that is that one that play General ZODD from Superman 2

YEAH that same dude

AngoraSox
March 31st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hi everyone! I'm glad to say that since 2002/2003 Colleen Corby is now showing up on the search engines. Back in 2003 I couldn't find her on any search engine but I did find her on ebay---on/in Seventeen magazines. Now I admin a Colleen Corby fansite with loads of pictures of her at http://corbyfans.multiply.com

The 1960's fashion scene was much more palatable than today's. By a long shot--good grief. But if you visit the corbyfans site, I think you'll find it quite a gleeful walk down memory lane. I have some vintage fashion mags and the site is where I share the pictures. They make me smile. And much of what is there is difficult to impossible to find on the internet. One of the subjects of particular interest are the articles and ads about the Christian faith that I find in those vintage Seventeen magazines. I'm always surprised to run across them since I live in a day and age where any ref to Christianity is either nonexistent or negative. --AngoraSox

P.S. I tried to add a picture into this message but it didn't work.:duh:

Jillian
April 1st, 2009, 03:34 PM
here is Colleen Corby on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcP2om3613g

AngoraSox
April 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Hi Jillian, Yes I am aware of the Colleen Corby YouTube videos. Thank you for thinking of me. I wanted to produce a Colleen Corby YouTube vid myself but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it even after reading their tutorial. And I'm from the world of television, film and journalism! LOL That's ok. I figure when I have the time, I'll figure it out. I usually do---but if anyone has any YouTube production tips, don't hesitate to pass them my way.
Jillian, I like your signature "Maranatha"! I was involved in the sixties and seventies Jesus Movement and "Maranatha" was a common outcry of the day! It was also the name of every other Christian book and record store of the day...LOL
Folks at Fresh-Hope are so friendly. So far, I've received a cup of hot chocolate and a beautiful box of candy and a bouquet of kind words from everyone! Very nice!

Cindy
April 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
yeah most fashions today really stink. We just had a thread where everyone was trying to help me find a one piece bathing suit for my 12 year old granddaughter. Talk about asking for the impossible! It's just disgusting what passes for fashion today. At least when my girls where young there were still nice clothes and dresses. Not anymore though. My oldest granddaughter, the one that's 12, often wears today's "dresses" as tops over her slacks or something like that. Of course I didn't realize they were really dresses until she told me LOL

AngoraSox
April 2nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
I agree Cindy! That is too funny about not knowing they were dresses until you were informed that they were dresses! LOL When I see today's fashions on TV, the internet, films, etc., I find myself often asking, "Ok. What is THAT suppose to be?" And I'm not being critical or judgemental. I REALLY don't know what I'm looking at! LOL Much of it looks like stuff that fell to the floor of your closet all jumbled up and mixed in with your Goodwill collection or something and stuff you didn't get around to throwing away yet. Tee-hee. Sometimes I appreciate the free-spiritedness of the outfit, it's just that it doesn't work. One thing that is nice is that you sure don't have to know anything about fashion in order to dress today. The "fashions-gone-awry" look of today DOES in fact LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD. Now, nobody stands out as poorly dressed or fashion-challanged because everyone looks poorly dressed and fashion-challanged. That should make girl's tense concerns, about how they look, almost non-existent. LOL I intend to be more silly than mean here even tho I speak the truth. On the other hand, tell me about bathing suits!!!!! Try finding a sweet normal swimsuit for a 4-5 year old (even at WalMart) that is NOT a bikini or some other seductive configuration! Now THAT makes me angry. Especially in an age profuse with pedophiles. Oh, but don't get me started.....LOL

--AngoraSox

Jillian
April 3rd, 2009, 07:09 AM
AngoraSox , welcome to Fresh Hope. We are so glad to have you. This is a great board and the people here are so friendly and nice. This is just a "good" place to be. :hug:

prairiewoman
April 5th, 2009, 11:36 PM
:wave: Welcome to Fresh Hope, Angora! THANKS for the YouTube link!

If there are any fashions in Heaven, they will be from the 1960s Seventeen Magazines. :faint: :faint: What a beautiful innocent era that was.

And - :shock: I cannot BELIEVE it's been FIVE WHOLE YEARS since I started this thread.