Fresh-Hope  

Go Back   Fresh-Hope > General Fellowship > Christian Chat

Notices

Christian Chat Discuss topics of interest to Christians, Testimonies, questions about God, the bible, doctrine etc, or just chat! Col 3:17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Witness

ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!
Default Dealing with Unsaved Family Members

How does eveeryone deal wiht the flat out rejection and anger of relatives who think you're just a fruitcake for speaking out about the healing power of Jesus Christ?

I have an elderly uncle (My Dad's brother) who is so STAUNCH CATHOLIC that the mere mention of even the bible puts him in a tailspin.

My uncle knows of my struggle with alcoholism in my past.....he also knows that it has totally destroyed my family of origin.

He beleives strongly that "alcoholism" is "just an excuse" and that "people need to take responsibility" for it and stop the "nonsense".

We got into a bit of a tiff on the phone last nite over it....he absolutely FLAT OUT rejects that it was God who healed me...and started to yell about "HIS beliefs" and "my beliefs".....the usual catholic gobbleygook....all the while reminding me that it was "ALMOST THE LENTEN SEASON".

This man is 84 years old and on dialysis and I pray for his salvation everyday.

But right now I must admit, I'm darn ANGRY.

Here I am.....a walking, talking MIRACLE....HEALED BY THE POWER OF MY SAVIOR YESHUA.. ..and my own family is blind to it.

Foolish me...I keep thinking they would rejoice with me....instead they get ANGRY.

How do you "let go" and just hope and pray that they turn their hardened hearts to the Lord in repentance when you love them so much?

This includes my son too, who also told me yesterday "Ya know not EVERYOE has your beleifs mom and you need to repsect that".

..and trust me, all I did was HINT at God, I'm not pushing anything down anyone's throats.

Gosh it is SO disheartening, isn't it?

Hurry back Lord Jesus.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Posting Queen Awesome Post Award Gold participation Award Prayer Warrior Berean Gold Award Staff Faithful Voter Award 
Total Awards: 9

Default Re: Dealing with Unsaved Family Members

I know its not easy to let go when you love them so. Most of my family just ignore it, give lip service to it or absolutely refuse to discuss it.

I used to smoke, didn't wnat to even though I knew I should. I prayed that God would take the desire away from me and I knew that one day He would. I would just wake up and that would be that, the desire would be gone when God was good and ready to do it. That happened a little over three years ago. I told a relative of a relative who happens to be a pastor what happened and ypou know his response? It was psychological. You just talked yourself into it. One, of quite a few, reasons I don't attend his church.

Guess what though, the one who refused to even discuss it (my husband), goes to church with me every Sunday these days. From little things I have heard him say, I know the HS is working on him.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
Spiritual Warrior

set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!set free in Christ is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Awesome Post Award 3000 Posts Award 
Total Awards: 2

I know where you are comming from. They get into religion and look out. It is much easier dealing with a clean slate. Just continue in prayer for them. You know it is the Holy Spirit that will be the one that might get to them and wake them up. It was the same for me. I was a good person and if being good got you into heaven I would be one of the people at the front of the line. It was by prayer of a friend that got me and my wife to open up our hearts to the Holy Spirit. It is hard in the meantime to watch time click by and nothing happen to them.
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Witness

ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!ThirstyBoots fears the Lord and shuns evil!

Thanks Lee and SetFree.

I appreciate your input.

I'm better today but I was just so upset yesterday...my uncle (who knows virtually NOTHING about alcoholism) out and out called me a liar.

There's is something in catholics (and other unsaved people) that raises it's ugly head when Jesus Christ or the power of the Living God is even hinted at.

I think it's evil.......a spiritual bondage that keeps them unkowingly tied to the "god of this world".

Well, Jesus Himself said we would be persecuted...and to "rejoice in it".

I don't feel much like "rejoicing" ... but as I said, I'm better today.

Thanks guys and gals.
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Gold Leadership Award Awesome Post Award Caregiver Award Defender of the Faith Most Helpful Award In Appreciation 
Total Awards: 6

It IS evil that keeps them blinded to the truth hon. I know it's upsetting but look at it this way: you must be doing something really right for them to get so very angry about it! Honestly! Jesus told us that the world would hate us..meaning all who are unsaved. If they don't hate you, then you're not living the way you should be. Jesus called us out of this world and doesn't want us to be a part of it. Jesus doesn't believe in tolerance the way this world does. He said that they are simply following after their father, who is Satan and that's natural for them--just as it was for us before we were saved. All we can do is pray for them, asking the Lord to remove the blinders from their eyes and to soften their hearts that they too might hear and receive His Gospel; and of course let our life's be a testimony to God's power in our lives. Then whenever the opportunity arises we can witness to them, planting seeds to the Lord to raise up. Then we can rejoice no matter the outcome, because if they get angry still, that tells us we're doing what we're supposed to be doing and if they don't get angry, that tells us that God has softened their hearts and they're ready for salvation!

2 Corinthians 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

1 Corinthians 2:14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Ephesians 2:1-2 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.

Luke 21:17 All men will hate you because of me.

John 3:20-21 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”

John 17:14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.

John 8:41-42 You are doing the things your own father does.” “We are not illegitimate children,” they protested. “The only Father we have is God himself.” Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me.

Luke 6:22-23 Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.

Feeling Frustrated?What did you do to Jesus yesterday? A Living Sacrifice;
Contaminated Cures;God’s transforming word;Our Weather;Pokemon;
Want a good book to read?; Our default mind set;Is a Lie Ever White?
Help for Those Who Suffer;Pitfalls of Living with PainStop Saying It
Trigger Finger Pink Puffy Paw? The Pain & Agony of Disclosure COPD
Another reason to share Chiropractors Hip Replacement Fibromyalgia
Cricoarytenoid ArthritisChronic Pain grieving Sjogren's Related Diseases
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Witness

wow.....very well said Cindy....thank you so much!!!

That puts it in better perspective for me.....I think sometimes, even though we are aware of the kinds of things you mentioned, we need other Christians to remind us and lift us up....especailly when we are so emotionally involved with the unsaved, like family members.

I've never seen my uncle so angry...truly!

Keep us in prayer will you?

Thanks!!
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Defender

blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!blue*acoustic is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Berean Silver Award Silver Leadership Award 3000 Posts Award Creativity Award Star Poster Faithful Voter Award Good sense of humor award 
Total Awards: 9

I think really, the only things we can do is pray for them, and lead by example. Let them see by living testament of our daily lives.

My mother was an alcoholic and she was 'clean' for about 18 years. But the drink (and a couple other things) eventually killed her. She didn't understand how God could take away her desire for alcohol for 18 years and then allow her to fall into it again. (long story and I don't want to bore you all with it, since this isn't what this post is about)

Anyway, all you can do Thirsty is do what you know God wants you to do, pray for your Uncle and be obedient to God. You don't need approval from your Uncle, about your faith or your addiction. Those things are between you and God. So just keep doing what God says, meanwhile pray for your Uncle, live your life and leave your Uncle in God's hands.

P.S don't forget, people always get angry when they are fighting the truth. :)

Old March 1st, 2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Gold Leadership Award Awesome Post Award Caregiver Award Defender of the Faith Most Helpful Award In Appreciation 
Total Awards: 6

I sure will!

You know, I've often noticed that people react very strangely to the very simple word, "Jesus". Think about it, really. That one word can cause anger, fear, denial, embarrassment, hate, and of course all of the opposite emotions as well. It's often used as a swear word, and just as often as a single word prayer. When you mention the name "Jesus", unless you're in a group of born again believers, you can immediately feel the tension in the air. If you continue, then tension builds until at times it seems so thick you could cut it with a knife!

I used to wonder about that, until I realized as I was reading the Bible one day, that the reason this happens is because there really IS power in the name of Jesus. A spiritual power is released every time that Name is uttered, regardless of the language it's spoken in. Because non believers do not have the Holy Spirit and cannot understand spiritual things, they feel this power and it makes them very uncomfortable--hence the tension/anger etc. Of course, believers are drawn to the Name and to the spiritual power in it, so it causes us to have the opposite reaction.

John 17:11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your namethe name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one.

Acts 4:7-10 They had Peter and John brought before them and began to question them: “By what power or what name did you do this?” Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: “Rulers and elders of the people! If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a cripple and are asked how he was healed, then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed.

Interesting huh?

Feeling Frustrated?What did you do to Jesus yesterday? A Living Sacrifice;
Contaminated Cures;God’s transforming word;Our Weather;Pokemon;
Want a good book to read?; Our default mind set;Is a Lie Ever White?
Help for Those Who Suffer;Pitfalls of Living with PainStop Saying It
Trigger Finger Pink Puffy Paw? The Pain & Agony of Disclosure COPD
Another reason to share Chiropractors Hip Replacement Fibromyalgia
Cricoarytenoid ArthritisChronic Pain grieving Sjogren's Related Diseases