Fresh-Hope  

Go Back   Fresh-Hope > General Fellowship > Christian Chat

Notices

Christian Chat Discuss topics of interest to Christians, Testimonies, questions about God, the bible, doctrine etc, or just chat! Col 3:17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Old October 31st, 2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

CindyL has disabled reputation
Update Soap Under the Sheets for RLS, Leg, foot, stomach Cramps, Muscle Spasms, Arthritis

Soap Under the Sheets for RLS, Leg, foot, stomach Cramps, Muscle Spasms, Arthritis, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, etc. (stomach cramps when you've had diarrhea or the flu, menstrual cramps, just about any kind of cramp or spasm anywhere in your body regardless of what the cause is.)

If there was just some way I could get this info into the hands of everyone that has restless leg syndrome, or leg or foot cramps, or muscle spasms, and convince them to just try it, I'd feel like I'd done something really worthwhile with my life!!!! This really works! I don't know why, I don't know how, but it does! The members of my site and I have been using this soap remedy since October of 2007 and we just love it.

You may have to try more then one brand of soap, but it will work.

I just LOVE being able to do away with the muscle spasms just by having a bar of soap in my bed, or here in the chair with me, instead of having to take the really strong muscle relaxers! My doc has me on the strongest possible dose of muscle relaxers, 20mgs of Flexeril. Of course it has quite a few lovely side effects, even though I've been taking it for 9 years.

Soap Under the Sheets for RLS, Leg, foot, stomach Cramps, Muscle Spasms, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, etc.

Q. Several months ago I went to my neurologist for my yearly physical and told him about a problem I had with my legs "jumping" at night and waking me up. He gave me the technical name for it and wrote me a prescription for Mirapex. I then told him I had read in your column about putting a bar of soap in the bed, so he told me to try the soap and fill the prescription if it didn't work. I still have the unfilled prescription sitting on my bathroom vanity. When we went on a trip to Yellowstone, I took my soap along and slept fine every night we were gone.
A. This home remedy mystifies us, but we have heard from many readers like you. The risk of unwrapping a fresh bar of soap and putting it under the bottom sheet where the legs will be is almost zero. The cost is far less than a prescription. Positive responses from other readers experimenting with Ivory soap remedy:......
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/archi...leg_cramps.php

Reader Comments
I read about this home remedy in the newspaper. I have indeed suffered from RLS basically all of my life, and I am over 50! My mother always told me I had "growing pains" -- HA! When I read this, I thought it was the silliest thing I had ever heard of. I truly believe in home remedies, but just sleeping with a bar of soap?!?! Well, let me assure any and everyone! It WORKS. I have now had 5 nights of sleep - in my own bed - no walking around, no moving from one place to another just to find comfort -just pure wonderful sleep. TRY IT!!!

I saw an article in our local newspaper about 6 months ago about putting soap under the sheets for RLS and tried it immediately. Since that time I have not had a single leg cramp. I use Caress.

What a wonderful, really inexpensive treatment that stops RLS.

I have suffered from severe leg cramps for years. I read about the Ivory soap, tried it and I have not had a leg cramp since.

I have severe Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD). Have used Sinemet and Mirapex over the last 8 years, but stopped each due to side effects. Currently unmedicated and miserable with the leg movements at night, waiting on test results and the docs to decide next line of defense. Someone mentioned the Ivory soap. Well, I tried it in a wrap around my ankles and under my feet in a double socks, but what seems the best is I have four bars across my lower bed so that no matter where I move my feet, one is near. If a movement wakes me, I move my foot to touch the soap, and fall right back asleep. Hasn't been a cure, but certainly has made it more tolerable and less sleep robbing. Can't begin to understand it. The most logical theory I've read is one wondering if the leg movements are like electrical currents, maybe the composition/density of the soap absorbs the brunt of the charge. (Like rubber and lightning.) Would love to understand why, but just having a degree of relief is good enough for me.

I have tried several kinds of bar soap for leg cramps. First being Ivory. I learned that I need to change the soap about every 3-4 months. I buy them at the 99 cent store. 3 bars for for 99 cents is the best investment for a good nights sleep. It took 3 nights before it worked, but that was 2 years ago and no leg cramps for me now. I use the cheap nylon anklets or cut the foot off old panty hose to slip the soap into that seems to help keep it in place. I use two bars under the bottom sheet, one on each side near my feet.

for more comments go here:
http://www.peoplespharmacy.org/archi...leg_cramps.asp

Give it a try! I would recommend a few things though that I've gathered in researching this:

1. Always start with a fresh bar of soap. Don't use one that's been opened before. Keep in mind that although it usually works immediately for most people, some have had to wait up to 3 days before it started working.

2.If one brand doesn't work for you, don't discount the idea, try another brand. Remember, it's still not costing you anything as you can use the soap in the bath if it doesn't work in bed

3.I've heard that neither Dial nor Dove work for most people. (not all) Some people swear by Ivory, but a few said it didn't work for them. I don't recall hearing about any other specific brands not working...but that could be my memory too. (Note: I use Dove under my sheets now and it works great for me! I use the rose scented kind cause I like the smell and it helps relax me)

4. Speaking of the smell, the first bar I tried that worked was Irish Spring. While the scent is nice, it just wasn't something I wanted to go to bed and smell all night, so I specifically looked for one that had a scent that was both pleasing and relaxing to me. That's how I wound up with the Rose scented Dove. BUT, I discovered from another person that tried the soap that for people who have asthma or COPD etc, that the scented soaps may make your breathing more difficult. AT least if you have the type of asthma that can be brought on by scents. Therefore,if you have asthma, you should probably start with a soap that's "unscented". Keep in mind though that some soaps that are "unscented" still have a "soap" smell and you don't really want that either. You want one that's really unscented. Unfortunately I forgot to ask them which brand they're using now, so I can't give you any tips on that.

5.realize that you're going to have to replace the bar of soap in about 3 to 4 months. (that's a very approximate time) For some reason it will stop working after approximately 4 months, but all you have to do is grab another bar of soap and replace the one in your bed with the new bar.

6. Another thing I've learned about it over the last year of so, is that "how much" soap you'll need to use, depends on how many things are wrong with you, and on if you sleep with someone else and if they also have problems with spasms, or cramps.

I still have no idea what it is in the soap that stops them, but for the purpose of trying to explain this, let's call that ingredient X. For example: I have RLS which means I get spasms in my legs all the time. Some nights they're mild, some nights they're "medium" and other nights it's just horrid. I also have problems with my back which causes me to have muscle spasms in my back too. OK, what I found is that ONE bar of soap at my feet worked just great for my legs, and no matter how bad the spasms were, it would stop them, IF I wasn't having back spasms. BUT if I was having back spasms, then it wouldn't work for my legs very well either. It seemed like it made the spasms in my legs a little better and even my back spasms a little better, but didn't take them away. Out of frustration one night, I got up and grabbed a second bar of soap. Immediately ALL my spasms stopped! I did some experimenting after that and have determined that the amount of the "ingredient X" you need from the soap, goes up indirect proportion to how bad your spasms are and in how many places in your body they are; and that if someone else is in bed with you, (including pets) and they have spasms, then they are also using up some of your "ingredient X".

It's very interesting to "play with it" to find out just how much you need etc. But the reason I'm trying to explain this is to let you know, that if one bar of soap isn't taking your spasm away 100%, then just grab a second bar! Another thing that also seems to make a difference is where you put the soap. I've found that the soap at the bottom of my feet, doesn't work as well for my back spasm, so since I have the spasms in both places pretty constantly, I now sleep with one bar at my feet and one bar by my back and that does the trick quite nicely.

So if you have spasms in more then one place in your body, or you spouse has them too, you may have to play with the number of bars in the bed and with the placement of the bars too to find what works best for you. For me, I have to have the soap touching me-or to be more exact, the sock or fabric bag that it's in has to be touching me. I would just hate to have someone just give up thinking it didn't work for them, when all they needed to do was either add another bar or move the soap into a different position.

7.You can have the soap in your bed just as it is, or you can stick each bar of soap you use into a sock or a small cloth bag. I have mine in cloth bags because it makes it easier for me to find them when I climb into bed. I just feel around at the bottom of my bed with my feet till I feel the bag, and then just grab it and pull it up some so my feet are touching it. Then I grab my other bag and stick it near my back.

8. One last thing I'd like to mention is this; if you have spasms during the day you can still use your soap. Since I have the spasms during the day too, I can always just grab one of my bags and stick it in the chair with me and that takes care of the back spasms, or stick it on the floor by my feet and that takes care of feet and leg spasms. Another member told me that he either uses the small hotel sized bars or cuts a bar in half and puts one on each side of his leg inside his socks during the day. That way it controls the spasms even when he has to walk. Other members just stick the soap in the pocket of their slacks. If you use your imagination, you can pretty much use the soap anywhere you are and anywhere you go. It's really great not to have to rely on a medication that has side effects anymore!

edited to add more info i found about this:

Can Soap Ease Arthritis Pain?

Q. A man told my daughter that a bar of soap at the foot of the bed between the sheets would help arthritis. I have arthritis, so I tried it. After about four weeks my arthritis seems to be much better. I would like to know if there is something in the soap that helps, or if is it my imagination?

A. We have been writing about a home remedy for leg cramps that calls for a bar of soap beneath the bottom sheet, near the legs. At first we thought the man or your daughter was confused. Then we received this note:

“Since my husband sometimes gets leg cramps, I gave him your article about carrying soap in his pocket. He decided to try it and for four days now he has had no pain from his sciatica. He has not had to take the pain medication that he usually takes daily. Have you heard of this effect from anyone else? Do you have any conjectures on why it works?”

We have no idea why it might work.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2007/...n-soap-ease-a/

Soap Under Sheet to Fight Leg Cramps

Q. I have bad leg cramps that wake me up early in the morning. I read that a bar of soap placed between the sheets might help.

Where precisely do you place it? I can't take quinine because it interacts with tamoxifen I take to prevent a recurrence of breast cancer. The cramps are really painful.

A. Quinine is no longer available as a treatment for leg cramps, even if you weren’t on tamoxifen. The FDA banned its use for cramps a few years ago.

Although we are hard-pressed to explain why soap under the bottom sheet would be helpful against leg cramps, many readers insist that it works. Here is just one example:

“I have been keeping a bar of soap under my sheet for quite some time. It does work, but I was never sure it did.

“Last night I had toe cramps. Instead of getting up to walk them off, I curled my foot as close to the soap as possible. The cramps went away in about 5 seconds.

“At the same time the calf in my other leg cramped. Again I moved the soap around near my leg, and the cramp was gone. Weird? You bet. Would I change this? No way. Who knows how this works, but it does.”

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2008/...-under-shee-1/

Soap For Restless Legs

Q. This is either an urban legend or a friend is playing a joke on me. She says that if you sleep with a bar of soap (not Dove or deodorant kind) the restless leg syndrome (RLS) will not occur. She swears that she read this someplace and that it worked for a relative. Since it was non-invasive, I slept with a bar of soap for two weeks. No RLS, but I still had leg cramps.

Is this a placebo? Mind over-matter? It is NOT logical! Have you ever heard of such a thing?

A. Your friend may have read about the soap remedy in our column. We agree that putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet is illogical. Like most remedies, it has never been tested scientifically. But we have heard from many readers that it helps prevent their cramps. Here is one:

"I have had severe leg cramps for years. When I read about putting a bar of soap in bed, I got a bar of Ivory and put it under the bottom sheet near my legs. It's been a month since I did that, and I have not had one leg cramp."

Restless leg syndrome (RLS) differs from leg cramps in that the person feels the urge to move the legs frequently. It too can interfere with sleep.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2005/...restless-legs/

Hospital Nights More Restful with Secret Soap Trick

Q. I am a nurse and I have “secretly” used soap under the sheets of patients who struggle with restless leg syndrome (RLS). They all tell me the only nights that they get sleep and wake up feeling rested is when I am on duty. The other nights they are miserable and their sleeping meds don't work.

I use soap under my sheets at home too, and I don't wake up with a charley horse or pain any more like I used to. I don't know why or how soap works against leg cramps or RLS. I'm just glad it does.

A. We too cannot explain why a simple bar of soap could help. One reader wrote: “My husband has suffered with horrible leg cramps for years. They often woke him up three or four times a night. He tried every thing imaginable without any relief.

“I was afraid he would think I was crazy to recommend soap, but he said he would try anything if there was a chance it would help. We have been using the soap for about a year and it is a miracle for us.

“When the doctor wanted to know why my husband wasn’t complaining about leg cramps anymore we mentioned the soap. I know the doctor thought we were nuts, but we don’t care. Until the soap, my husband hadn’t slept a full night without leg cramps for 10 years.”

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2009/...spital-nights/

Soap Remedy Stirs Controversy

Some home remedies seem logical. Soaking fungus-infected toes in a footbath containing dilute vinegar and old-fashioned amber Listerine makes some sense. After all, fungus hates acid and the herbal oils and alcohol in Listerine may also have anti-fungal activity.

Using soap to combat leg cramps, on the other hand, makes no sense at all. We don’t know where the idea came from to put soap under the bottom sheet to prevent leg cramps. Regardless of its origins, many readers of The People’s Pharmacy are excited about its benefits.

One reader testified: “I have had a bar of soap under my sheet for almost six months and never once have I had any more cramping in my toes, feet and legs. It may be an old wives’ tale, but I can say that it works great because I get a good night's sleep!”

Another one cheered, “I have tried many home remedies, and this is the first that is absolutely effective. I have always experienced moderate to severe leg and foot cramps, and also RLS [restless leg syndrome]. I read about the soap remedy and have used it for nearly two years. I’ve had only a few cramps that lasted only a minute or two until I got the soap on my leg or foot. Even better--NO RLS! This is an amazing home remedy. No exaggeration, no kidding!”

Not everyone is so enthusiastic about soap in bed. One told his story: “It’s a placebo. It only works if you believe it will. My mother-in-law told my wife to try it. I told my wife, ‘it’s just a placebo. If you want to try it, wait until I’m not expecting it.’ She waited a few weeks, slipped the soap under the sheet and I still suffered from leg cramps. If you don’t believe in it, it won’t work either.”

Another wife did a similar experiment but got different results: “I put a bar of soap under my husband’s sheets without his knowledge. It worked. So this proves that it is not all psychosomatic.

“When he saw the soap, he couldn't believe it had helped. It probably wouldn't have worked if he had known in advance that I’d put it there.”

One reader doesn’t care if the effect is psychosomatic: “I suffered from calf muscle cramps (charley horses) at night for years. I read about the soap trick and thought, what the heck. I put several motel soap bars under the sheets. A couple of weeks later, I suddenly realized I had not had any charley horses for quite a while. When I changed the bed, I would put the soap in a cup while I washed and dried the sheets.

“About two weeks ago, I started having those darned cramps again. I figured, ‘Well, that soap stuff is all just suds.’ I had cramps for several nights, and then I found the cup with the soap sitting out. I had forgotten to put it back in the bed. Back it went pronto, and I have not had a cramp since. If it's psychosomatic, so be it, as long as I don't have those charley horses any more.”

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2008/...ap-remedy-sti/

Soap Under the Sheets Stymies Scientists

One of the most unusual home remedies on our Web site is soap for leg cramps. We first heard about this approach in 2004 and were somewhat skeptical. For one thing, there was no obvious explanation for why a bar of soap under the bottom sheet would do anything for leg cramps. There still isn't and we have heard from physicians and scientists who are convinced it is totally bogus.

Nonetheless, many readers and visitors to this Web site have shared some amazing stories over the last five years. Here are just a few stories we thought you might enjoy. You may also find our special People's Pharmacy Bed Soap and Leg Soap of interest, since we created them specifically to be a convenient shape for use either under the sheet or in the socks as remedies.

We would love to hear your experience with soap...either positive or negative. Comment below.

Joe & Terry Graedon
The People's Pharmacy

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wow, does anybody understand why the soap thing really works for leg cramps? My 76-year-old mother has dealt with leg cramps for years now. Upon watching Dr Gott, my mother asked me what I thought of this remedy. Well, I told her it's just mumbo jumbo; don't waste your time.

Well, of course Mother knows best. I was shocked to realize that she has been putting soap under her sheet for two weeks, and surprising to say, I was wrong. She has been cramp-free for 10 days now, and I'm really astonished! NOW, my question is.... What in soap would take leg cramps away? I'm a real skeptic on things like this, but trust me, It WORKS!

Jim, Aug, 2009

I still cannot believe it! But this really helps. I decided to buy Irish Spring since several people mentioned it and you get 2 bars for $.99 at the dollar store. There is divided opinion on whether Dove and Ivory work.

Since I wear socks to bed, I decided to tape slivers of soap on my calves and shins as well as putting the bar of soap under the sheet. It's been two weeks now and I have not slept so well in years.

I have a bone marrow cancer which causes severe pain from the ankle to the hip in my left leg. Last night I taped a sliver of soap on the outside of my left thigh - no pain. I am so grateful.

Lilly, Nov. 2009

I am absolutely stymied by all of this soap in the bed stuff! IT WORKS!

I've suffered from such killer leg cramps that I can only cry. A friend told me about Ivory Soap. Although it took me five more days (and more cramp issues) before I gave it a try, try I did. I'm just absolutely amazed! NO leg cramps. I'm able to stretch in the bed before I get up without cramps and my legs feel better all day!

What in the Sam Hill is the deal with this? Who cares? I'ts safe, it works and I feel BETTER!!! Wow.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2010/...es-scientists/

Soap Saved the Day--or Rather, the Night

Q. When I read about putting soap under the sheet to stop nighttime leg cramps, I thought it could not possibly work. How could it make any difference at all?

Several family members convinced me to try it. For weeks, I had no leg cramps at all. Then suddenly they were back with a vengeance.

I wondered why this odd remedy had quit working and realized that my husband had changed the sheets. I didn't know if he had put my soap back, and when I checked I found he had not.

Anyone who thinks this is all in someone's head is just plain wrong! I had no idea the soap was no longer in place, yet I suddenly started having leg cramps again. When I replaced the bar, they disappeared. If you are a skeptic, just give it a try.

A. What a great testimonial! We offer the details on this and many other remedies for leg cramps and restless legs in our Guide to Leg Pain. Perhaps some day there will be a scientific explanation for why putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet near the legs can keep the muscles from cramping.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/...her-the-night/

Soap Quiets Twitchy Thumb

Q. A couple of nights ago, my thumb began to twitch without stopping. It kept me up most of the night and I found it very distracting the whole next day.

I have read many of your columns about soap under the bed sheets for RLS (restless leg syndrome). When I thought of them, I went into the bathroom and found a bar of hotel soap and held it in my hand. A minute later, the thumb finally stopped and hasn't twitched since! I don't know how soap did this magic, but I am convinced after my 24-hour ordeal that it worked.

A. We are equally puzzled about why soap would have any effect on unwanted muscle movement like your thumb twitch. We have heard from a number of other people that it can be helpful for RLS or cramps in legs or hands.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2009/...twitchy-thumb/

No Science Behind Soap Remedy

Sometimes a remedy defies logic. Usually there’s no science to support it either. That’s certainly the case when it comes to putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet to stop leg cramps or restless legs.

One reader (who happens to have doctorates in biomedical engineering and physics) took us to task for suggesting this remedy. He asked, “What is the mechanism of action for a bar of soap under your sheets for relieving any type of pain? Answering that this is anything but an old wives’ tale discredits everything you have done in the name of science.

“As a fellow scientist and university faculty member, I feel it is your responsibility to educate your readers using accepted scientific principles. When you do not, you are performing a disservice to the rest of us.

“What's next? ‘We have heard from many readers that it helps to have a leprechaun in your pocket when looking for gold at the end of the rainbow, and we can’t see how it would hurt.’”

We can’t pretend that soap under the sheet is anything more than a folk remedy. We can’t explain how it would work, and we don’t know for sure that it does. Nonetheless, we have been impressed with readers reporting success.

One wrote: “I've been a long-time sufferer of sciatica. Recently, I was diagnosed with degenerative joint disease resulting in tarsal tunnel syndrome in my left foot. The pain was nearly unbearable. After your column on the soap mystery, I could not believe it but I thought I have little to lose.

“I keep the bar of soap underneath my sheets all the time. It's been over a month, and I've been noticing much less pain and more energy. I shared the article with a co-worker who also is benefiting. Her sister, a nurse, is puzzled by this.”

Their training may predispose nurses to be cautious: “Being a nurse, I was VERY skeptical about the soap remedy. Statin medicines give me leg cramps. I decided the bar of soap could do no harm. It worked the very first night and has continued to work for the past three months. I can't figure out how it can possibly help, but it does.”

Another reader found a bar of soap more helpful than prescription pain relievers: “I had an unsuccessful replacement of my right knee 18 months ago and my left thigh suffers from meralgia paresthetica (thigh nerve pain).

“The bar of soap works wonders. The pain in both legs almost disappears when I go to bed. I tried to do without soap one night and after about 30 minutes of tossing and turning I put the bar back under the sheet to relieve the pain.

“I have to replace the soap about every two months to stay pain free. I said good-bye to Celebrex and Mobic, which were not easing the pain.”

Leg cramps can be extremely painful and there are no drugs approved to treat them. We only wish there were some studies to help us understand the soap phenomenon.

Our rule of thumb with such remedies is, if they won’t hurt and might help and are inexpensive, why not give them a try? We can’t explain the soap remedy, but doctors can’t explain how many prescription drugs work, either.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2007/...-science-behi/

If you have arthritis, this WILL help you!

I know a lot of people will just laugh or more likely roll their eyes and think I've lost it, but I really haven't. And I'm not lying. For one thing, I don't lie because it would hurt our Lord if I did, so I don't even tell little white lies and I have no reason to lie anyway. I HAVE found something that actually helps get rid of the pain from arthritis! It takes away anywhere from 90 to 100% of the pain, regardless of which joint the pain is in. The only thing I'm not sure of is which arthritis this works on because I have both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. I think it works on both as I haven't found a pain yet that it doesn't work on (I mean a pain caused by arthritis) What is it? A bar of soap.

A few months ago I was researching to see if I could find any more information about soap stopping cramps and spasms when I found a short testimony from someone swearing that it also stopped arthritis pain. Yeah, I admit it, I rolled my eyes and closed that page. But then the pain hit me the next day and I thought, "Why not try it?" "I've got the soap right here since I use it for spasms anyway, so it can't hurt to see if it will stop this pain too". That particular time the joint in pain was my knee, so I put the soap on my knee and about 5 minutes later realized that the pain was gone! Totally! I was thrilled, but not convinced.

I tried it when my other joints acted up and it took away that pain too.

Then came the BIG test. Arthritis pain can be horrid but the worst to me is when it gets in my big toe believe it or not. When it hits there, it feels like there's a large bonfire inside my toe and that someone outside my body is also holding my toe over a fire! It wakes me screaming from a dead sleep when it happens at night. 60mgs of morphine doesn't touch it. Nothing does really. The only half way successful weapon I had against it was soaking my toes in lidoderm liquid which is a lot like Novocaine. I'd soak my foot for 30 minutes and then wrap my toe in a lidoderm patch. Plus of course I took the morphine. Those things together made it bearable, but of course it took almost an hour before they'd start to work and you have to deal with the pain that long. It's hard not to just keep screaming. What was really bad was that the lidoderm wasn't working too well anymore. It seemed like each time I used it lately it had less effect. Till finally, it didn't work at all.

That day, well, very early morning, when that didn't work, I was desperate and didn't know what to do. I did know that the pain in my toe was caused by the RA though and that reminded me about the soap, so with nothing to lose and everything to gain, I grabbed my soap and put it on my toe. (well actually I put the soap on the floor and my toe on the soap) It worked!!!! In just a couple of minutes the pain was gone! Completely! I was thrilled it was gone but really figured that it was the morphine and the lidoderm that did it and that it had just taken longer to work this time for some reason.

But, the next time the pain hit my toe, I purposely did not take any morphine or use the lidoderm. I grabbed the soap first and tried it and once again, within a few moments the pain was gone! It would start to come back if I took my toe off the soap, but as long as that soap was on my toe, there was no pain.

Since then, through trial and error I've discovered how long I have to leave the soap on various joints, including my toe, before I can go without it, without the pain coming back. Generally since when the RA flares up, the pain will stay for anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks so I often just leave the soap on whenever I'm sitting or in bed, just to keep the pain away.

Of course, it can be particularly difficult to get the soap to stay on some of the joints, like knees, elbows etc. I've found several ways to do it though, so it can be done. But yesterday I was trying to think of another way that my 6 year old grandson could use for his knees. I don't know if he has arthritis, but knee pain wakes him up too and the soap stops his pain. So I wanted an easy way that a 6 year old could do for themselves, and that would keep the soap in place even if he had to get out of bed to use the bathroom or something. I had a great idea! I tried it tonight and it works great!

Get an old pair of pantyhose and cut them off at the top and cut the toe off too so both ends are open. Now you have two "legs" right? You slip the leg on, just as though you were putting on a sock. Depending on which joint you need the soap on will determine how far up you need to pull it. But you can pull them all the way up quite comfortably. You just slip the soap in when you get to the joint that hurts and then pull the hose up further so that they're secure. You can walk around and even clean the house lol and the soap stays in place! It's quite comfortable and not at all binding, but "tight" enough to hold the soap in place. Exactly what I needed for Elijah! But I like it so much I'm using it for me too. Much more comfortable for sleeping then the other ways I've figured out. I tried using the knee high hose, but those don't work as well if you need the soap on your knee. It will hold the soap in place ok, but it isn't very comfortable as the top gets too tight.

So there you have it. All you need is a fresh bar of soap and a pair of pantyhose. Well, the pantyhose isn't mandatory lol, but they sure help! I don't want to get into all the details of what kind of soap to use, how often it needs to be changed etc since all that information is in other posts. But I did want to at least let you all know that the soap does in fact work on arthritis pain. Why? I have no idea. But then I don't know why it stops cramps and muscle spasms either. It just does.

I also know that it does not work on other kinds of pain. I won't say "all other" kinds of pain because I don't know that. I just know that it doesn't help my back pain. I wish it did, because then I'd be able to stop taking morphine completely. Perhaps it does work on some other pains though since it helps Elijah with his knee pain. We don't know what causes his pain and to be honest, it's possible with Elijah that the soap helps because Grandma told him it would. He's been using it since he was 5 years old so he's a bit too young for me to know for sure. I know his pain is real, but I also know that the power of our minds is quite real too. That said, I also know for sure that my mind was pretty sure that it wouldn't help my arthritis pain so since it does, I feel certain that mine isn't "all in my head".

So there you have it. Give it a try. Just like with the other use of it, you may have to try different brands till you find one that works for you, but if your pain is bad enough that you need narcotics for it, (or wish you had narcotics for it) and especially if you're like me and find that the narcotics don't work anyway, this is a God send!

PS. Although other members of my family didn't believe me at first, they all use it now for various things: my granddaughters (older ones) and daughters use it for menstrual cramps and pain, my husband uses it for elbow pain and stomach cramps from GERD, my younger daughter and grandson use it for knee pain and leg cramps, some of my other grandchildren use it for foot pain; my son uses it for restless leg syndrome, and all of them have used it on their stomachs when they've had the flu to stop the pain from cramps and diarrhea.
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:28 AM
FH Addicts

LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!LoveJesus24 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Caregiver Award Posting Queen 10,000 Posts Award 
Total Awards: 3

Old November 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Disciple

TEXASGRANDMA Has been chosen by God

my hubby waves his arms and his legs at night. I wonder if the soap will work? He is taking medication, but so far he has had not issues.
betty
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

can't hurt to try, at least with the soap there's no side effects! My son has RLS too and I told him about it, explaining that if one brand doesn't work to try another before giving up on the idea, and that I heard that dial and dove don't work for some reason... wasn't able to substantiate that though.
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Posting Queen Caregiver Award Overcomer Creativity Award Staff Biggest Heart Award Gold participation Award 
Total Awards: 10

Thank you for pointing the way to this thread, Cindy. I'm going to try that.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9 NIV
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
By The Throne

revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!revtami is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Awesome Post Award 5000 posts award Awesome Post Award 
Total Awards: 3

First of all Cindy, YOU ARE NOT A PEST! I love your little PM's that let me know what's going on where around here.

As for the soap thing, I want to try it but I'm going to have to have Ken pick up some bar soap on his next shopping trip. All we have in the house is liquid soap and that could get awfully messy. You know on the surface it sounds so funny that a bar of soap could do what a ton of meds have failed to do but hey, with so many people saying it works, well silly or not, I've got to try it.
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

LOL yeah I don't think liquid soap would do the trick LOL I agree though it's certainly worth a shot. And like I said, if the first kind you try doesn't work, try a different brand... all those people can't be wrong lol
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Salt of the Earth

Marcie Leigh Has been chosen by God

Awards Showcase
7000 Posts Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
First of all Cindy, YOU ARE NOT A PEST! I love your little PM's that let me know what's going on where around here.
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/MarcieLee/Prayers%20II/amen-2.jpg[/img] I truly appreciate the updates.......and letting me know what is going on..... [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/MarcieLee/Prayers%20II/thankuLord.jpg[/img] for Cindy and anyone else who takes their time to keep us all updated.....
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
FH Supporter

edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!edwina is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
7000 Posts Award 
Total Awards: 1

WOW I AM GONA TRY IT AND SEE IF IT WILL WORK FOR OTHER STUFF!!!
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Administrator

thanks you guys!
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:19 PM
FH Addicts

Jill Has been chosen by God

SOrry folks... First of all... i'm not against 'folk' remedies...

But this one has to be the weirdest I've read yet.

FOR SOME THINGS IN LIFE, THERE ARE NO WORDS--Willy Wonka
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Saved

yieldedandstill is well thought ofyieldedandstill is well thought of

I read about and tried this remedy some time ago... and I haven't had any leg cramps since. I use Irish Springs because I had a lot in the cabinet! :D
Create in me a clean heart, O Elohim, and renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Old November 8th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Administrator

Yay!!!! That's the kind Bruce bought for me to try!
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Posting Queen Caregiver Award Overcomer Creativity Award Staff Biggest Heart Award Gold participation Award 

Well, I tried the soap last night.
I slept soundly, I'm sure due to not sleeping for over 24 hours.
But, when I got up, I realized I wasn't awakened in the night, and that burning wasn't present. hmmm. The burning has, however, returned since I've been up, but not real bad. I'm still in research mode here, so I'll let ya'll know if the burning and leg cramps don't return, or even if they do return.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM
FH Addicts

Jill Has been chosen by God

:D

FOR SOME THINGS IN LIFE, THERE ARE NO WORDS--Willy Wonka
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Administrator

that will be interesting Cheryl since Ihaven't seen anything to suggest it works on that...but who knows... why not lol
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Awards Showcase

Well, I'm not expecting it to work on that, but am hoping that it will stop the leg cramps. But, I noticed the burning wasn't as bad this morning, but it sure is now. It's gotten progressively worse all day.

Old November 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator

I'm so sorry hon! I wish I could do something to help!
Old November 8th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Awards Showcase

Thanks Cindy. My brother emailed me today and suggested that I might try to file for disability since I'm having such a hard time with finding a job where I don't have to stand or carry file boxes.

I kinda thought about it, but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on myself just yet. I love accounting and if I get an opportunity, I'd love to be able to make that choice, as long as I'm still bodily able. An accounting job is a sit down job.

Old November 8th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Administrator

true hon, but do think about it and pray about it. See what the Lord wants you to do. Be prepared though as He might tell you to stop working like He did me and that can be pretty devestating, even if you're prepared for it...which I wasn't lol. When you do decide to apply though, don't wait. Apply immediately when you decide and worry about details later. The reason being is that your back pay is determined by the date you first apply regardless of how long it takes to get it, and it could take a couple of years. They tend to turn down most people, probably to discourage them, but if/when they do, immediately get a lawyer and appeal it. (they will pay the lawyer from your back pay)

Just info to keep in mind hon. It can be a grueling and long process but it's worth it in the end.

Well I'm off to bed. I'll say another prayer for you before I go to sleep ok?
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Awards Showcase

Thanks Cindy. I will make sure I know this when/if the time comes.
I have so many questions. But, when I figure out what I'm gonna do, I'll maybe start a thread here and ask if ya'll know the answers.

OK, back to the soap remedy.....................lol
Sorry didn't mean to take this off topic.

Old November 9th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

no biggie lol
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Well guys, my RLS finally attacked me last night. I used to have it everynight, but since taking the flexeril it seems to only occur ocassionally now. Anyway, I decided what the heck and got up and grabbed the soap Bruce had bought me, (Irish Spriing) and tossed it under my covers. (kinda rolling my eyes at myself at the same time lol) I couldn't believe it! It worked!!!!! Not so much as a single twinge did I feel after that!
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Awards Showcase

WOW, Cindy. Cool.
I've still got my bar under there. I'm gonna let it run it's course. If suddenly I start getting the leg cramps again, I'm gonna come check back at this thread to see when I put it there. But, so far, I haven't gotten any leg cramps since I put that bar there.

BUT, I've had excessive tossing and turning and must get up because of it. ( And no, Jill, I don't believe it's from the soap ) But, I rolled over last night and the soap bar must have slid up near my thigh, because I rolled right onto it, and it caused pain to shoot clean through my leg. Woke me up right quick, I tell ya'.

I moved the darn thing and went right back to sleep. I sure needed that sleep. I've been so tired lately, but so restless.
I attribute it to not working and not getting out, hence no exercise (intellectually or physically).

Old November 15th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator

I'm sorry you've been having such a rough time sleeping hon.

I have to admit that I really didn't expect the soap to work lol seemed really silly to me, but certainly worth trying. I used to be on Klonepin for the RLS and it worked great for me for years and then suddenly stopped working which was a real bummer cause at that time I had it constantly. But because of all the meds I have to take for my back, I didn't want to throw another medication into the mix, and the side effects listed for the RLS meds are kinda scary anyway. That's why I figured I'd give this a try. Worse case scenario is that I wasted 99 cents, but that's not even true cause if it hadn't worked, I'd have just used the soap in the shower LOL so in all reality it didn't cost anything extra.

Usually once my legs do start jumping around, nothing stops them and I'm up all night. Even if I take a sleeping pill. In fact the spasms get so severe that they literally lift my entire body off the bed. So I was both shocked and thrilled when that soap worked last night LOL Already sent an email to my son telling him it worked. Hopefully he'll give it a try too.