Fresh-Hope  

Go Back   Fresh-Hope > Debate & Learning Forums > Apologetics

Notices

Apologetics Witnessing and Defending the Faith. This is also the place to discuss mid and post trib positions, and conspiracy theories. NOTE: Debate is allowed in this Forum!. We will not tolerate the mocking of our board, our members, our faith, and most importantly, our Lord. Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. Col 4:5–6 Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Old August 28th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Salt of the Earth

Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Defender of the Faith Berean Gold Award Award for 1000 posts Silver Participation Award 
Total Awards: 4

Default Scriptures About Praying for Another's Salvation?

Can anyone offer any scriptures that tell us to pray specifically for other people's (or a specific person's) salvation?
Luke 7:47 Therefore I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; that's why she loved much. But the one who is forgiven little, loves little.
Old August 28th, 2010, 10:21 AM
At the feast

RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!

Awards Showcase
Award for 1000 posts 
Total Awards: 1

Default Re: Scriptures About Praying for Another's Salvation?

Lauren, that answer would come from people bringing into their answer the earlier material given to them by their particular entity's teaching authority, tradition, interpretation [earlier eisegesis process came into play]. --roland
Old August 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Salt of the Earth

Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lauren is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Defender of the Faith Berean Gold Award Award for 1000 posts Silver Participation Award 

Maybe I should qualify my question - I'm looking for scriptures pertaining to the living, not those that have died (eg, no "purgatory" scriptures and the like).

A person on another forum was expressing that they believe in election (vs free will) and she was wondering how she should pray for people in terms of their salvation. I gave her a suggestion, but it prompted me to look further at whether there even are any scriptures that tell us to pray for another person in terms of salvation. I really haven't been able to find any.
Luke 7:47 Therefore I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; that's why she loved much. But the one who is forgiven little, loves little.
Old August 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Posting King Award Defender of the Faith 10,000 Posts Award Biggest Heart Award Gold participation Award Berean Gold Award Staff 
Total Awards: 8

I don't any off the top of my head Lauren. Scripture usually tells us to minister to them instead of praying for them.

"He who gathers money little by little makes it grow." Proverbs 13:11
Old August 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Moderator/Intercessor

Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Pathwalker is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Overcomer Berean Silver Award Posting King Award Prayer Warrior Berean Gold Award Staff Faithful Voter Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
Can anyone offer any scriptures that tell us to pray specifically for other people's (or a specific person's) salvation?

Are you looking for the Romans Road ?

Matthew 7:7 “Continue to ask, and God will give to you. Continue to search, and you will find. Continue to knock, and the door will open for you
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:20 AM
FH Addicts

jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Most Helpful Award Posting King Award 10,000 Posts Award Best Smile Defender of the Faith Gold participation Award Awesome Post Award 
Total Awards: 7

Doesn't Paul say he is praying for the jews salvation?
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Crowned

discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
7000 Posts Award Defender of the Faith Faithful Witness Award Silver Leadership Award Awesome Post Award Berean Gold Award 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
I don't know that there's a specific Scripture but what would be wrong with praying for someone's salvation? Do we need a biblical mandate to pray for someone to be saved? Along with sharing the gospel in whatever way the Lord leads, of course.
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:38 PM
At the feast

RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!RolandJS is approved by God and rightly divides the Word of God!

Awards Showcase
Award for 1000 posts 

Lauren:
Are there any bits and pieces of theology or experience that led to this thread?
It's a good thread! I'm not sure what would be helpful from us to this thread. :)
Oh, wait a minute, did you listen recently to RC Sproul and/or John MacArthur?
They did mention this aspect concerning our evangelizing, our prayers, within their predestination broadcast. Would this be what you're interested in?
Roland
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Salt of the Earth

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I don't any off the top of my head Lauren. Scripture usually tells us to minister to them instead of praying for them.
Thanks for the input, Brad :)
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Salt of the Earth

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
Are you looking for the Romans Road ?
I'm not sure what that is Pathwalker. A book?
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Salt of the Earth

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtheb View Post
Doesn't Paul say he is praying for the jews salvation?
Hmm, that gives me a start to look at some scriptures. Thanks jtheb!
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Salt of the Earth

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerner View Post
I don't know that there's a specific Scripture but what would be wrong with praying for someone's salvation? Do we need a biblical mandate to pray for someone to be saved? Along with sharing the gospel in whatever way the Lord leads, of course.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it; I've just been doing a lot of thinking about free will vs predestination, and it's a question stemming from that thinking.

It seems logical to me that if man does have free will and can choose salvation, that there would be scriptures that tell us to pray for other people's salvation. When I did a quick search, I wasn't able to find too much readily, so I was asking here to see if anyone knew some scriptures off the top of their head.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Brad is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Posting King Award Defender of the Faith 10,000 Posts Award Biggest Heart Award Gold participation Award Berean Gold Award Staff 

Quote:
Thanks for the input, Brad :)
What input??? I wasn't much help...I didn't tell you anything you didn't already know.

Old August 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Salt of the Earth

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
Lauren:
Are there any bits and pieces of theology or experience that led to this thread?
It's a good thread! I'm not sure what would be helpful from us to this thread. :)
Oh, wait a minute, did you listen recently to RC Sproul and/or John MacArthur?
They did mention this aspect concerning our evangelizing, our prayers, within their predestination broadcast. Would this be what you're interested in?
Roland
Hmm, that broadcast might be something I'd be interested in, Roland. I think I saw a link to that in another thread?

The whole question (in my mind) came up when I was discussing praying for the salvation of others when you believe in predestination. Those who believe in free will might say what is the point in praying for a person's salvation if their destination is already sealed. And my first response to that would have been that, even if we don't understand why we are to pray for the salvation of others, we should because we are commanded to. And then I thought, "Are we commanded to pray for other's salvation?" So I was just investigating that thought a little further.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Salt of the Earth

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
What input??? I wasn't much help...I didn't tell you anything you didn't already know.
LOL, sorry, that was my way of saying "thanks for stopping by the thread".
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
LOL, sorry, that was my way of saying "thanks for stopping by the thread".
Oh...

Old August 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM
FH Addicts

tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Posting King Award 10,000 Posts Award Defender of the Faith Biggest Heart Award Awesome Post Award Gold Leadership Award Faithful Witness Award 
Total Awards: 9

Romans 10:1 "Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved."

"
... this is the true grace of God wherein ye stand."

What happened to me in 2012?
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Crowned

discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!discerner is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
7000 Posts Award Defender of the Faith Faithful Witness Award Silver Leadership Award Awesome Post Award Berean Gold Award 

Quote:
Hmm, that broadcast might be something I'd be interested in, Roland. I think I saw a link to that in another thread?

The whole question (in my mind) came up when I was discussing praying for the salvation of others when you believe in predestination. Those who believe in free will might say what is the point in praying for a person's salvation if their destination is already sealed. And my first response to that would have been that, even if we don't understand why we are to pray for the salvation of others, we should because we are commanded to. And then I thought, "Are we commanded to pray for other's salvation?" So I was just investigating that thought a little further.
I do not believe God predestines people to heaven or hell. If He did, why would this even be in the Bible?

2 Peter 3:8-9 (KJV) 8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

It is contradictory for Him to declare that He's not willing that any perish and then turn around and make it impossible for some to be saved by predestining them to hell.

Last edited by discerner; August 31st, 2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:09 PM
At the feast

Awards Showcase
Award for 1000 posts 

Lauren:
To further your earlier post, to add to your already great stuff:
Even though God knows the beginning to the end of everything and everybody, that does not mean our limited free will is negated, we still have ability to make choices, even though He commanded us to choose righteously and live; we still face the consequences of our good and bad choices. We evangelize externally or we do internal support and we pray -- because we do not know in advance what God knew from the beginning to the end.
Roland
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:13 AM
FH Addicts

tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!tdodds74 is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Posting King Award 10,000 Posts Award Defender of the Faith Biggest Heart Award Awesome Post Award Gold Leadership Award Faithful Witness Award 

Quote:
I do not believe God predestines people to heaven or hell. If He did, why would this even be in the Bible?

2 Peter 3:8-9 (KJV) 8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

It is contradictory for Him to declare that He's not willing that any perish and then turn around and make it impossible for some to be saved be predestining them to hell.
It isn't contradictory ... if you take BOTH man's responsibility and God's sovereignty into account as not competing.

"

Old August 31st, 2010, 08:26 AM
Crowned

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdodds74 View Post
It isn't contradictory ... if you take BOTH man's responsibility and God's sovereignty into account as not competing.
Yes, it is. Salvation is open to everyone, Jesus died for everyone. I will never be Calvinist and believe that salvation is only open to certain elect and that God pretestines people to heaven or hell at birth. He has foreknowledge of what people will do and what decisions they will make but they are not predestined to go to hell. What I said stands.
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:35 AM
FH Addicts

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Yes, it is. Salvation is open to everyone, Jesus died for everyone. I will never be Calvinist and believe that salvation is only open to certain elect and that God pretestines people to heaven or hell at birth. He has foreknowledge of what people will do and what decisions they will make but they are not predestined to go to hell. What I said stands.
You don't have to be a Calvinist ... I'm not. BOTH are taught in Scripture. Both C and A missed the point as they take a once sided extreme view of a balance that is taught in Scripture.

You previously said God does not choose for Heaven or Hell. The latter is true - God never chooses one for Hell - they end up there because they are responsible.

The foreknowledge of God is not to be confused with his knowing the end from the beginning. The foreknowledge of God deals with relationship - that is He did choose those with whom He would have relationship with before the foundation of the world. By you using the term you are giving credence to the election of God; all the while arguing against it.

Scripture tells us the Christ died to bear the sins of ALL or MANY? It's the latter. John, in his gospel, tells us that those who do not believe are condemned already because they believe not. He also tells us that we cannot believe without the intervention of God.

What God says stands. God has presented a balance and we are called to believe both. Do fall trap to one side or the other.

"

Old August 31st, 2010, 08:36 AM
FH Addicts

jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Most Helpful Award Posting King Award 10,000 Posts Award Best Smile Defender of the Faith Gold participation Award Awesome Post Award 

All this sounds contradictory when views from human angle.

God hasn't our limitations, it is simple and straightforward to Him.
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:09 PM
FH Addicts

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtheb View Post
All this sounds contradictory when views from human angle.

God hasn't our limitations, it is simple and straightforward to Him.
Then don't view it from the human angle - the things of God are spiritually discerned. It's all in his Word which is spirit and which is life.

"

Old August 31st, 2010, 12:13 PM
FH Addicts

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdodds74 View Post
Then don't view it from the human angle - the things of God are spiritually discerned. It's all in his Word which is spirit and which is life.
Thanks for your helpful suggestion. You know I would never have thought of that