Fresh-Hope  

Go Back   Fresh-Hope > General Fellowship > Christian Chat

Notices

Christian Chat Discuss topics of interest to Christians, Testimonies, questions about God, the bible, doctrine etc, or just chat! Col 3:17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Gold Leadership Award Awesome Post Award Caregiver Award Defender of the Faith Most Helpful Award In Appreciation 
Total Awards: 6

Unhappy I couldn't believe what I saw on the Waltons the other night!

I have to admit that I was shocked and saddened when watching the Waltons the other night. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing, and it showed me just how far back this push for "tolerance" started.

In this show, Jason Walton was dating a Jewish girl. The girl was confused about her religion and wasn't even sure what it meant to be Jewish. She winds up being all upset and emotional and running off to talk to the new minister at the baptist church the Walton family goes to. (I know I called her a "girl" but she was a woman, full grown and in the army) What shocked me so much was what the minister did. He listened to her (good) and let her get everything off her chest and then proceeded to explain all about Judaism to her and gave her a book that had been given to him by a Jewish Rabbi about Judaism. He then told her that he'd find out where the nearest Temple was so she could start attending there! In the next scene the minister is giving his Sunday sermon which, believe it or not is all about tolerance. He says very proudly that they are "baptists" and the most important thing to remember is that their founder (can't remember the name) had said that any good baptist was tolerant of other religions! Next was a scene of the Waltons at lunch and one of them paraphrases the minister saying that and indicate that as good baptists they should have been proud to help a Jewish person discover their beliefs.

By then I was wavering between anger, disbelief and tears! That minister alone actually picked that girl up out of our Lord's hands and forced her back into a false religion! I'm not at all against helping her understand her roots mind you, but instead of pushing her out the door and into a Temple, why not take the time to explain to her what her Jewish roots are and how wonderful it is and how God entrusted to her people His laws etc and take her from there and show her how God then sent His Son and how she could be saved??? That way she could have understood her roots AND been saved!!!

Instead though, they tossed her to the wolves so she can spend eternity in hell while they all pat themselves on the back for being "good baptists!"

I know...it's only a story, but I'm also sure that it actually happens every day. Hell will be filled with folks because of "good Christians" who were being tolerant.
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Posting Queen Caregiver Award Overcomer Creativity Award Staff Biggest Heart Award Gold participation Award 
Total Awards: 10

Default Re: I couldn't believe what I saw on the Waltons the other night!

Cindy, I don't remember that episode. But, I've been watching the Waltons a little bit lately. They have several episodes back to back. Back when it was a weekly series, I tried never to miss even one. Seeing it now, I see a lot of what is wrong with the show, and many messages that it sends.......not just that one. Good and bad. But, it does show realistic type people and where they fail in the Word of God. That particular episode would have upset me as well, though.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9 NIV
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
FH Addicts

jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!jtheb is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Most Helpful Award Posting King Award 10,000 Posts Award Best Smile Defender of the Faith Gold participation Award Awesome Post Award 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
I have to admit that I was shocked and saddened when watching the Waltons the other night. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing, and it showed me just how far back this push for "tolerance" started.

In this show, Jason Walton was dating a Jewish girl. The girl was confused about her religion and wasn't even sure what it meant to be Jewish. She winds up being all upset and emotional and running off to talk to the new minister at the baptist church the Walton family goes to. (I know I called her a "girl" but she was a woman, full grown and in the army) What shocked me so much was what the minister did. He listened to her (good) and let her get everything off her chest and then proceeded to explain all about Judaism to her and gave her a book that had been given to him by a Jewish Rabbi about Judaism. He then told her that he'd find out where the nearest Temple was so she could start attending there! In the next scene the minister is giving his Sunday sermon which, believe it or not is all about tolerance. He says very proudly that they are "baptists" and the most important thing to remember is that their founder (can't remember the name) had said that any good baptist was tolerant of other religions! Next was a scene of the Waltons at lunch and one of them paraphrases the minister saying that and indicate that as good baptists they should have been proud to help a Jewish person discover their beliefs.

By then I was wavering between anger, disbelief and tears! That minister alone actually picked that girl up out of our Lord's hands and forced her back into a false religion! I'm not at all against helping her understand her roots mind you, but instead of pushing her out the door and into a Temple, why not take the time to explain to her what her Jewish roots are and how wonderful it is and how God entrusted to her people His laws etc and take her from there and show her how God then sent His Son and how she could be saved??? That way she could have understood her roots AND been saved!!!

Instead though, they tossed her to the wolves so she can spend eternity in hell while they all pat themselves on the back for being "good baptists!"

I know...it's only a story, but I'm also sure that it actually happens every day. Hell will be filled with folks because of "good Christians" who were being tolerant.
I have always been unhappy about the agreement that some have made not to evangelise the jews.
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cindy is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Gold Leadership Award Awesome Post Award Caregiver Award Defender of the Faith Most Helpful Award In Appreciation 

It wasn't just the Jew's John. Although in this show that particular character was Jewish, but even on the show they made a point that they meant any religion besides ours!

I've seen the same thing Cheryl. We watch it almost every night and have been for quite awhile. I like the show in general, but I can see so many things they do and say that shows how long Satan and the world have been putting out a lot of the different propaganda that's taken people away from God's Word.
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Lee is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Posting Queen Awesome Post Award Gold participation Award Prayer Warrior Berean Gold Award Staff Faithful Voter Award 
Total Awards: 9

You know I really thought when I saw this thread you were talking about the episode were Elizabeth was moving things unknowingly with telekinesis or something. Which I saw the other day.

I've noticed a lot of things wrong too.

One thing in their defense, (I have not watched the episode in years so can't really say for sure) these are episodes leading up to WWII and the holocaust and they might have been trying to send the message that prejudice and hatred is bad, which is a recurring theme in the show. Doesn't make the way they went about it right though.

Old September 20th, 2011, 10:19 PM
FH Supporter

Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Caregiver Award Defender of the Faith Award for 1000 posts Prayer Warrior Gold participation Award Berean Silver Award Creativity Award 

I have noticed that now watching some of the older shows.
I wonder if it could be that our Christian eyes have matured.

Old September 20th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Moderator/FH Supporter

Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Cheryl is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Posting Queen Caregiver Award Overcomer Creativity Award Staff Biggest Heart Award Gold participation Award 
Total Awards: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruths View Post

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9 NIV
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
You know I really thought when I saw this thread you were talking about the episode were Elizabeth was moving things unknowingly with telekinesis or something. Which I saw the other day.

I've noticed a lot of things wrong too.

One thing in their defense, (I have not watched the episode in years so can't really say for sure) these are episodes leading up to WWII and the holocaust and they might have been trying to send the message that prejudice and hatred is bad, which is a recurring theme in the show. Doesn't make the way they went about it right though.

I haven't seen that one yet Lee, but I did see a commercial for it and was like

Oh this was during that time and I'm quite sure that's what they were trying to do, but the fact that they were so very proud that one of their "founders" would say such a thing just totally floored me. I would have never, ever, guessed that about the baptists/southern baptists in a million years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruths View Post
I think that's very very likely too Ruth. It seems to me that I see more every day. Even though I know the Lord said this would happen, it's just so hard to see it... and I know it must just break His heart too after all He's done for us....I guess that's why it hurts so much and why I get so upset.... Then again, it's not like He's not able to defend Himself LOL He really doesn't need me to do it for Him, but I can't help feeling somewhat "protective" in a way, you know?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
FH Supporter

Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!Ruths is an example to others in word, conduct, love, and faith!

Awards Showcase
Caregiver Award Defender of the Faith Award for 1000 posts Prayer Warrior Gold participation Award Berean Silver Award Creativity Award 

I think that's very very likely too Ruth. It seems to me that I see more every day. Even though I know the Lord said this would happen, it's just so hard to see it... and I know it must just break His heart too after all He's done for us....I guess that's why it hurts so much and why I get so upset.... Then again, it's not like He's not able to defend Himself LOL He really doesn't need me to do it for Him, but I can't help feeling somewhat "protective" in a way, you know? [/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean by the protective thing!

I am all the time saying things along those lines that crack BB up.
I will see something & say " Will you look at that..Wonder what Jesus thinks about THAT!"

He just laughs & says "There goes my Bible thumping wife again."
He means it in a good way.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Awards Showcase

yep, me too lol great minds think alike
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
FH Supporter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
yep, me too lol great minds think alike
Glad I am not the only one!!