I also want to explain what I mean when I say "study with the Lord." I hope, that this may clarify what I mean by that:
1) Pray asking the Lord to guide and teach you and to lead you into what He has for you to learn today. (Remember, prayer is simply talking to the Lord)
2) Read the 1st verse in your reading plan for that day.
3) What are your thoughts about this verse? Remember, the Lord is right here with you, right now, watching, listening and guiding your thoughts and questions. So talk to Him about your thoughts and questions.
4) Follow where your thoughts, questions, ideas lead you: to other verses, other ideas, other questions and consider each in the same way, always discussing it with the Lord as you go. Finally, if you haven’t already been led to do so, you can check your concordance, index, and cross references to see what other scriptures might pertain to this.
5) Continue on to the next verse and repeat unless the Lord has taken you off into an entirely different direction
This entire process isn’t really studying so much as it’s a conversation with the Lord. It sounds strange writing it out this way,m but basically it's constantly talking to the Lord about what you're reading - making a comment, asking a question, or whatever. Just as you'd do if it was another human being in the room with you. When you study this way, you wind up with an enjoyable time spent with Him, learning about Him and all the wonderful surprises He’s hidden in His Word just for you to find today.